WHAT IS ISO 9994?
• The ISO 9994 specifies the safety requirements for lighters.
• Lighters must pass several tests in order to be considered safe products.
• Manufacturers and distributors are responsible of complying with the safety requirements for the products that they produce and distribute.
WHY ARE CLIPPER LIGHERS ROUND?
Because the round shape makes them more durable. Lighters are mini compressed gas tanks. Think of a gas tank – have you ever seen a square one – no! This is because pressure builds at the corners and would rupture the tank. By being round, pressure is evenly distributed to maintain a highest level of safety and durability.
Child Resistant system’s global implementation
WHAT DOES EXACTLY MEAN “CHILD RESISTANT”?
Child Resistant lighter definition: A CR lighter is the one that complies with the current legislation in USA and the European Union, carrying a device that prevents that 85% of children of an age equal or inferior to 52 months ignite it.
It is necessary to pass a test with more than 100 children through an accredited laboratory.
It would be irresponsible from our side not to protect children if we possess and master the CR technology that keeps the lighter adult friendly .
We know that adult users are happy with our child resistant system because:
• Consumer tests were conducted in 10 countries of different cultures where there is no CR legislation. We haven’t received ANY consumer complaint after having sold over 500 million flint lighters with this CR device in the European Union (where CR legislation was adopted 3 years ago), in the USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and Taiwan.
• The child is not able to generate sufficient energy to ignite due to the shorter rotation angle of the pentagonal wheel.
• The flat and plain sides of the pentagonal wheel have less grip and are more slippery for the child’s finger.